June 9, 2022
If you’ve been around here for any length of time, you know how much I love me a gift guide. You also know I have a bit of a thing for men’s gift guides especially because these are the ones that seem to stump us the most. I receive questions on gift ideas for husbands, brothers, fathers and sons. There is something for everyone in this gift guide so wipe that sweat from your brow and remove the amazon gift card as an option, okay?
Before I begin, one of the easiest and best things we can gift the fathers and father figures in our lives is a handmade gift and some time to do the things they love with the ones they love. A camping trip, a quiet house, their favorite meal, a solid nap. These things are free, these things are delightful and a more expensive gift or more recognizable item won’t be more valuable than something given with thoughtfulness, consideration and intentionality. The grinch says it best, “Maybe Christmas,” he thought, “doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas…perhaps…means a little bit more?” That applies to Father’s Day too, friends.
Okay…now on to the stuff that does come from a store- check out the very bottom for some tried and true favorites that aren’t pictured.
1. African Artists Book. This one is for the art lover, the lover or art and the lovers of Africa. Not only does this make a beautiful coffee table book for your home or his office, it also acts as a source of inspiration.
2. Pizza Oven. This has won rave reviews across the country over the past couple years so if he loves a great pizza and wants that New York or Italy feel right at home without having to build a wood-fired pizza oven into the wall (because, why would you) then this is for you. Even if the man in your life isn’t the cooking type, if there’s someone in his life who IS in fact the cooking type, this is still a win.
3. Custom Embroidered Knit Sweater. I got this sweater for Oshiomogho and embroidered a word special to him along the neckline in tone on tone stitching so it’s sort of like a secret. The sweater fits very oversized and slouchy so definitely size down. This is very pricey for a sweater– as an alternative, I’ve had this tee customized for him too and the quality is phenomenal.
4. Classic Aviators. These seem like a much better option than the mustache, let’s be real.
5. Watch. I love a good watch on a man. This one is a little more sleek than what I usually go for but I do love the color and shape. It’s one of those rare watches that looks ten times what it costs and dresses up a tee and jeans just as well as it pairs with a suit.
6. Sneaker Freaker Magazine. This one is for the true sneaker head.
7. Pickleball Paddle. This one is super, super niche. But if he’s into this…you certainly know about it.
8. Poo Drops. He’ll get a kick out of this but you the gift is certainly more for you than for him.
9. New Yorker Mug. Maybe he always has been and always will be a devotee to this paper. If he loves The Times, a good cup of coffee, a great crossword or all three-this is the mug for him.
10. Robot Vacuum. I ordered this for Oshiomogho because he’s been fascinated by them for years and while I don’t understand why, it seems like tons of other men are too. Has he ever used it? Nope. Do I still lug around the vacuum we got off our wedding registry in 2011? Yep. But it was on his wishlist so here we are.
11. Charging Tray. I got this for O’s slew of devices to have a “home” and he has loved it for two years now. I personalized it with ‘Dad’ since it was a Father’s Day gift and he’s not the monogram type.
12. Airpod Case. O doesn’t use Apple products but a custom case is on my own wishlist so here it is.
13. Shearling Hot Water Bottle. Are you married to a man who turns into a four year old version of himself whenever he’s under the weather? I love the idea of gifting something nostalgic and soothing because even Dad’s need to be taken care of, you know? (Another item on my own wishlist.)
14. New Balances. These shoes are cool and everyone from David Beckham and Ryan Reynolds to Michael B. Jordan and Kaepernick say so…but my dad has been wearing these shoes since my childhood and nothing feels quite so right on Father’s Day than to gift this retro pair.
Here are some more fool-proof gift ideas for every man in your life:
+ The Best Headphones in the World for the guy who loves headphones as much as Oshiomogho Atogwe. We have led tons of men to these exact headphones over the years and they’re an investment worth their weight in gold.
+ Sonos portable speaker for the guy who loves to listen to his favorite music while he does the dishes, works out in the garage and plays cards with his friends.
+Lululemon has some of my favorite gifts for just about everyone. These pants are favorites of both O and my dad, this weight pack is wonderful for the runners and their tees and sweatshirts are always a hit.
+ Apple Air Tags for the guy who loses everything…constantly.
+ Purple Seat Cushion for the guy who works long hours and has a less than ergonomic chair so work feels like sitting on a cloud.
+ A Custom Home Portrait for the man who loves being home, misses being home, is proud of his new home or misses the home he grew up in with his own father. Here is a letterpress version.
+This Father’s Day Shop has the best small shop curation and as someone born in Chicago, this gives me all the Chicago Pride feels.
+ I got these slides for my dad this year because he’s a slide fanatic and loves both Polo and camo with all his heart. They’re selling out quickly, but there are other color options.