February 1, 2021
Everyone says you learn what you’re really like and what you really like in your thirties. Everyone is right. I turn 31 this weekend so I thought I’d share the items I’ve declared as my top thirty favorites-my MVPs- while I’m still thirty years old.
I’m keeping books off this list because there are far too many. These items are in no particular order-they’re all equally first place in my book.
1. My Robe and Blanket. Who would I be if these weren’t on the list, friends? This robe has been with me through a whole lot. It’s made the move from Virginia to Texas, has survived a miscarriage and a pregnancy, has kept me cozy nearly every single day for almost four years and never complains. I finally bought the blanket in the same material in 2019 and it is just as loyal-I sleep with it every single night.
2. Hustler Jeans. I found my perfect jeans in 2018 and am never letting them go. They’re tight in the right places, loose in the right places and are the most flattering pair of denim I’ve ever put on my body. I recommend them to everyone and they come in so many shades you’ll be set for life.
7. Scattergories. Our house just doesn’t feel like a home unless I know I have a fully stocked game cabinet-this one topping the list. This game is my ultimate nostolgia. My parents would play this game with their friends and I remember looking up at the table, listening to the bizarre words and all the laughter and defending and couldn’t wait to be able to join in one day. It’s a family favorite and I still reach for it more often than not.
8. 30 oz Yeti Rambler. I love this thing so much. If you’ve been around here for years, you’e heard about it far too many times. I pour smoothies in here and pack a straw knowing it’ll stay ice cold for hours, but this really shines for coffee and tea. I love letting tea steep in here while I shower before bed, crawling under the sheets, grabbing my book and opening this up to find it’s still piping hot. Year after year, it’s still my favorite.
9. Vitamix. This is something I have loved for a decade. When I was 20, going to college in California and constantly calling a Jamba Juice smoothie breakfast, I decided to ask one day what blenders they used. Oshiomogho and I ordered one to keep at his sister’s apartment and we have used it almost every day since. We upgraded to the newest version after nearly 3,650 days of use and still use it daily.
10. Le Crueset and Staub Dutch Ovens. If you haven’t caught on by now, I’ve been a bit of an old lady for most of my life. This has been one of my favorite things since I was 20 as well. It’s perfect for every stew, soup and sauce, does perfectly in the oven for hours, is stunning on the stove and cleans beautifully even after the toughest stains.
12. Ring Concierge Rings. I spent the majority of my twenties buying cheap jewelry I cycled through quickly because it would fall apart our tun a strange color. I decided a few years ago I’d rather wait to save for jewelry that would last than O gifted me with a white gold and rose gold version of this band for our 5 year anniversary. I wear them every single day on my right hand.
13. Sleep Cap. I’ll never stop raving about this thing. It made my Best Purchases of 2017 list and has topped the list of my heart ever since (too much?) I noticed the difference it made in the health of my hair immediately and, even better, I notice the difference in the health of my hair without it.
14. Eye Pillow. I’ve talked about this many times before as well, but this pillow is the perfect weight, has the most subtle and gentle lavender scent and is the most soothing sendoff to sleep. O confiscated this and slept with it every single night for the better part of a year so now we each have one.
15. Headphones. I got these in 2018 and wear them every day. They are noise cancelling without being the make-your-brain-hurt kind and are comfortable enough to wear for hours.
16. Mansur Gavriel Tote. This purse is the workhorse of my closet. I’m not precious with my bags. I need them to be able to carry diapers and laptops and water bottles and snacks while looking classic and beautiful and this bag does all of those things.
29. Valley of Vision book. I know, I’m not including books…but I couldn’t leave this out. This book of Puritan prayers has directed my heart in such a beautiful way and it had to be included.
30. ESV Journal Bible. I typically find myself using the Dwell App or the Bible App on my phone more often than not, but the experience I have reading the Word through my physical Bible always ends up being next-level. I love the lined extra-long margins and that I can use essentially any writing tool since the pages aren’t overly sheer.